Thursday, October 23, 2008

Time for a Quick Dinner??

Yesterday was just one of "those days." I found out late in the day that a project I had been working on was ready, and I had a whooollleee bunch of letters to get out. Since I'm not going into work today or tomorrow, I chose to go back to work after dinner last night and spend a couple of hours stuffing envelopes and typing up labels. It's times like these that I'm grateful to live less than five miles away! So what makes a quick, delicious dinner? Asian Steak Stir-Fry!

I've made plenty of stirfries in my life, usually with chicken or shrimp. I'd never considered using steak, really. I usually picture steak on a plate with some A-1 and a baked potato! I got this recipe off the package that the steak came in, interestingly enough. Sometimes you can find really good recipes on packaging, like my Mexican Chicken and Rice, or Chocolate Rollo Cookies. (My Favorite!!!) This comes together really fast and makes great leftovers for the next day.

Asian Steak Stir Fry

Flank or Pan-Fry steak, cut against the grain into thin strips
2 bell peppers (a red and a green) cut into strips
1 lg onion, cut into large strips
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cucumbers, peeled
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
hot cooked rice (I prefer brown rice in this dish, but white is fine)

Cut the cucumbers lengthwise and use a spoon to remove pulp and seeds. Cut into large chunks. (Cucumbers lose a lot of water when cooking, hence the large cut)
Coat a skillet with a little vegetable oil, heat. Add peppers and onions, saute. Add minced garlic, stir fry some more. Add cucumber. Stirfry some more.
While veggies are cooking, mix together the hoisin sauce, red wine vinegar and soy sauce.
Add the steak to the veggie skillet. When steak is halfway cooked, add the sauce mixture.
Remove from heat when steak is cooked throughout. Serve over hot cooked rice.

No comments: