Sunday, October 17, 2010

Savory Turnovers

When you think of a turnover, what do you picture?  I see sugary, buttery dough, with either raspberry or apple filling.  After seeing a recipe in Cooking Light this month for Squash and Apple Turnovers, I knew that I had to try it.

They were pretty labor-intensive, taking several days to make.  Well, I suppose that's not entirely truthful.  It took ME several days to make them.  I bought the goat cheese at lunch one day and left it in the fridge at work, so that's one day lost.  Then yesterday while I was sauteeing the apple and squash, I discovered that the "can of dinner rolls" was actually biscuit dough.  Score for biscuits, but dinner rolls is what the recipe called for.  So I got crescent rolls and rolled them out....well I attempted and then assigned Hubby with that task since he is so much more patient with it!  I put a few tablespoons of butternut squash, braeburn apple, onion and goat cheese mixture on the dough circle, folded 'em up and sealed them with the tines of a fork. 

The end result?  Savory fall goodness that will make a fantastic lunch this week.  Perhaps with a bowl of steamy-hot soup.

1 comment:

adventures in rhode island said...

you had me at goat cheese. these sound interesting. i looked up the recipe and bookmarked it. :)