Sunday, October 3, 2010

Autumn Harvest

I'm a little behind in posting, and behind in cooking as well!

Last week we went apple picking with the boys.  It was a hot-as-hell, humid day that felt like we should be at the beach or something instead of an apple orchard.  It was a FANTASTIC place, with a playround for the kiddos, wagon rides and store and kitchen that you could purchase treats.  After spending an hour picking apples (Cortlands, Galas, Mutsus and Golden Delicious) we decided to call it a day and headed to the kitchen area.  I got caramel apples and cider donuts for us (and two bottles of water due to the heat!)  Despite the warmth, it was the perfect fall (Summer??) day. 

So far, I've only baked an apple pie, but I've got big plans for the rest of the apples.  First up-applesauce!  I'm going to be a bit smarter this year and borrowed my mother's food mill so that not only do I not have to peel the apples, the peels won't be in the finished sauce!  I also got this month's Cooking Light and there's some fantastic apple recipes in there, as well as one for peanut butter banana bread.  Not to mention two dinners featuring apples, which I've put on the menu. 

I LOVE Autumn!!!

No comments: