Sunday, October 3, 2010

Poached Eggs

For every cook, there's something that is a challenge.  Mine is sauces.  I'm terrible at making from-scratch sauces.  I've tried to make my own cheese sauce for homemade mac n cheese but alas, it's not meant to be.  Pan sauce, gravy, spaghetti sauce, pesto.....they all meet the same fate on my stove.  Not that I won't keep trying.  I wish that I could find a class on sauce-making tips.  (Not that I'd have the time for it, anyway!)

Brian's "Mount Everest" is poached eggs.  Poached eggs are in another favorite in our house...Eggs Benedict.  That's that wonderful dish of English muffins topped with Canadian bacon, poached egg and Hollandaise sauce.  However, a poached egg can be made by itself, served with toast for sopping up all that yolk.  (mmmm)    They're absolutely delicious, but require quite a bit of set-up, delicate handling and precise timing.  If the poaching water isn't hot enough, they get to be a mess.  And if you cook them too long the yolks turn hard. 

So after reviewing a tutorial in a magazine, Brian went for the "climb" this morning.  I'll let the results speak for themselves in pictures:


Cooking in a pan of water and cider vinegar.  The one on the bottom left isn't quite going to make it!
 

Two poached eggs and a side of sausage
 
Now THAT'S what a poached egg is supposed to look like!

Now Brian's "Everest" is nothing more than a little sledding hill.  Hmm....maybe I should get working on some Hollandaise sauce and together we can make that Eggs Benedict happen!


1 comment:

adventures in rhode island said...

ok, that looks incredibly delicious (and i'm also starving right now as i read this)! i love poached eggs! never tried making them, i'm sure there is a learning curve. my mom used to make me poached eggs as a kid, loved them. brian did a great job- and now i'm completely craving some!!