Sunday, September 20, 2009

Our Own Personal Applefest


We went apple picking today!  I hadn't been since I was a little kid, and I honestly don't remember it.  The place was super-crowded with a folk festival, but we managed to fill up two bags with Cortland, Gala and McIntosh apples.  Will LOVED his first experience in picking apples, and thought it was super-cool that his parents let him pull an apple off a tree and take a big bite out of it.  We loaded our bounty into the car, and Will promptly conked out as we left the parking lot.  Momma wasn't too far behind, dreaming of apple crisp.  After a short nap at home, it was time to start cooking.

Tonight's apple items were Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Fresh Applesauce and Apple Crisp.  Oh yes!!  The chicken was out-of-this-world good, and fresh applesauce beats the pants out of the jarred stuff.  I'll put recipes in a separate post.

One funny thing to mention is that we put all of the apples (still in the bags) on the dining room table when we got home.  They ended up falling over and some rolled onto the floor, scaring our dog.  Hilarious to watch!!  Will tried to help out but found a Gala apple and decided to take a bite.  I asked "Do you want some sliced apple, honey?"  Yes!  I went into the kitchen to slice it  for him, and before I can start I hear another "Crunch!"  Apparently, we made a monster out of him at the orchard!  This is how we help Mommy clean up the spilled apples...gotta eat them all.  :) 

No chicken soup this weekend, or anything pumpkin-y.  I left the Rachael Ray mag at work by accident and really want to make "that" soup.  And once I got apples on the brain, there was no room for pumpkin.  So another day, the fall season is just starting!

1 comment:

CraftyMomof3 said...

Sounds like you had fun!