Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hooray for Homemade Applesauce

Later on Sunday night, I pulled out "The Bible"  (aka Joy of Cooking) to see what apple recipes were inside.  Eureka!  Homemade applesauce!




I remember making applesauce in fourth grade for a school presentation.  I also remember it not being that difficult.  "The Bible" confirmed my thoughts.  According to the Joy of Cooking, applesauce really shines when you make it with 2-3 different kinds of apples.  I chose some Cortlands and McIntoshes from the bags.  Also, it said that peeling was optional.  After cutting and peeling Cortlands for Apple Crisp, I was all about not peeling them!!  Next is simmering them on the stove with a little cider for 20 minutes.  Done.  Add some sweetener. either 1/2 cup sugar or some honey.  I opted for sugar, but my kitchen was such a disaster, I didn't have any more measuring cups.  So I did a Rachael Ray and "eyeballed it."  Adding some spices next.  I whacked at the apples with a potato masher (love those multitaskers!) and then realized that the sauce needed to go through a sieve to get rid of the peels.  Brian and I tried and tried....we pushed as much sauce through an old colander as we could.  The end result?  Delicious and soooo satisfying.  It certainly beats the pants off the jarred kind!

No comments: