Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 21: Too Hot To Cook

New England is under a heatwave right now, so the idea of turning on the oven is just plain silly.  I considered the leftover spaghetti for me and the kids (Hubby was late headed to school from work due to traffic so he unfortunately got McDonald's) but the I realized that there wouldn't be anything to eat at work today.  Actually, I had brought the spaghetti to work today to eat at lunchtime.  Unfortunately, I brought the spaghetti but no utensils.  Eating spaghetti with your hands, especially at work, is not appetizing.  So instead, I headed out for some lunch.

Kids and I had pancakes, bacon and strawberry-banana smoothies.  And the kids insisted on helping cook...something that I usually encourage wholeheartedly but was difficult last night.  I make the pancakes on an electric griddle and the bacon on a griddle on the stove, and these are on opposite ends of the kitchen.  The boys wouldn't take no for an answer though, so Will broke up bananas for the smoothie.  I turned my back on Will for a minute, to find Sean wiping down the counter of pancake batter.  That was pretty cool!  After swapping his Kleenex (clean) for some damp paper towels, I let him continue.  No way am I discouraging the boys from cleaning ANYTHING!  Will helped put away the baking powder and discovered half a bag of mini chocolate chips, so the last batch of pancakes had chocolate chips in them.  Naturally, they were the best ones!


No comments: