Thursday, August 20, 2009

Peaches n Cream

Yes, it's another post about peaches. Summer's almost over, and they won't be around much longer so I have to get as much out of them as I can! (and I found a peach salsa recipe last night so that's probably next)

I bought peaches to bake a pie last weekend and they were taking FOREVER to ripen. They're also huge, I have no idea why they were so big last week compared to every other week. Well, New England is in the midst of a heatwave. It's been a sticky, gross 90+ degrees for the past three days. Not exactly baking weather! But I realized last night that the peaches were starting to turn, so it was heat be damned: I'm baking!

This peach cream pie came together pretty well with a frozen piecrust. (Yeah, I don't roll piecrust!) The baking part was interesting, you baked it at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, then turned the oven down to 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then you pulled out the pie, sprinkled on the crumb topping, and baked it at 400 for an additional ten minutes.

it wasn't cooled off enough to have for dessert. But it just proves what I've always known to be true: a slice of pie and a cup of coffee makes an excellent breakfast!