Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New Things Can Be Disappointing...

Though I write a menu still every week, we've been rotating the same meals over and over. So being in a rut, I pulled out the newest copy of "Taste of Home" for inspiration. My eye caught an article about cheap pasta dinners, so I put the recipe for "Lemon Chicken Tortellini" on the menu.

SO Disappointing! It had all the ingredients to sound successful....chicken, frozen tortellini, red pepper, baby spinach, lemon zest.... The problem was the sauce. I usually let Brian make any homemade sauces, because they are not my forte. This one was a butter and chicken broth sauce, and you thicken it with flour like a white sauce. Well, the recipe called for 1/3 c. flour. Brian whisked it in and was immediately sorry that he had. Upon tasting, I thought there would be a pleasant burst of lemon and a bit of kick from the red pepper seasoning. Nah........bland as the glue on an envelope seal. :( Needless to say, our garbage disposal ate well tonight. I guess if I'm hungry later I can always make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

No comments: