Monday, February 13, 2012

A Brownie Preview

I've never been really "into" Valentine's Day."  As a whole, I find it to be commercial and forced.  Plus, I still remember being single on Valentines Day and just wishing the day to be over.  Sure, we used to go out to dinner on Valentine's Day, or get flowers or gifts.   Restaurants on V day are for suckers....and the last time I made a reservation on Valentine's Day and STILL waited an hour for a table, well that was the end of THAT!  In short, it's become a very simple affair, cards and a little treat for the boys, and cards for Hubby and I.

But when Hubby suggested we make ourselves a really nice meal, I couldn't say no.  It's a well-known fact, neither of us can say no to good food!  He decided on the menu (filet and lobster tails) and I decided to make a chocolate dessert.  Nothing too crazy, after all, it was going to be a weeknight so there wasn't enough prep time.  I posed the question to my friends on Google Plus, and my (real life) friend Alisha came to the rescue with her Lindt Chocolate Brownies.

I had never made brownies from scratch before, and that's a damn shame.  After all, there's nothing wrong with a dessert recipe that starts with this:


Chop 'em up, and melt 'em.  Luckily, I had Alton Brown's final episode of Good Eats, entitled "Turn on the Dark" to help with all of that.  And thanks to him, I know to chop and microwave.  Smooooooooth.


Look at all that chocolatey goodness!  

Now they're baked, Hubby is still at school and the house smells like a chocolate factory.  I texted him to give him a preview and he said "We have to wait til TOMORROW??  But I'm starving."  

And I'm weak.  If he comes home and wants to cut into them, I won't be able to say no.


After all, from-scratch brownies that look like that can't be anything short of amazing, right?  :)

No comments: