Thursday, January 7, 2010

Something Different, with Hamburger

I tend to get tired of the same old things with hamburger.  Meatballs.  Tacos.  Meat Sauce.  Meat Loaf.  Zzzzzzzzz.......  So tonight I tried my hand at an "Italian Casserole."  Very quick and easy.  Since it was just for the two of us, I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8x8 square pan.  Ground beef, onions, spaghetti sauce, then a sour cream and monterey jack cheese layer, and then the piece de resistance, crescent rolls on top!  Oh, how I LOVE crescent rolls!!  It was a little heavy on the sour cream layer but the crusty cover was perfect.  Plus there's two leftover pieces for lunch tomorrow.  We didn't end up using all of the crescent rolls for the crust, but of course they weren't going to go to waste.  We just rolled them into actual crescent rolls and baked them alongside the casserole. :)

This cookbook has an entire chapter dedicated to just lasagnas. Twenty-one total!.  I'd heard of a couple, like Lasagna Bolonogese or Roast Veggie lasagna..  Bolonogese is your typical meat lasagna that most people have, only theirs boasts three different kinds of meat.  (Sausage, hamburger and bacon, if you're interested.)  There was a seafood lasagna that looked interesting, a couple of chicken ones that were intriguing, but it was the vegetarian ones that caught my eye.  Now, Brian would rather poke himself in one eye than eat a vegetarian lasagna, he is very much a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy.  I, however, enjoy the occasional vegetarian meal.  So, the next time we have our friends the "S" family over, I'll make two pans of Lasagna, the Bolonogese one for Brian and Chris, and a Butternut Squash one for me and Jenny.  There will be plenty of leftovers to send home with our guests and for our freezer.  Can't wait for a lasagna date!   :)

No comments: