Friday, March 20, 2009

A Fried Mess

Tonight's menu was supposed to be a new recipe for chicken stuffed with goat cheese and garlic. It's Friday. By the time Friday rolls around every week the last thing I want to do is cook, so I don't know why I did this to myself. So instead of that, I convinced Hubby that we hadn't had fried chicken in a long time and that's what we should have. Score!!

I dipped chicken breasts in beaten egg and then breaded them, (one of my least favorite things, right up there with rolling meatballs) and I dropped it gently into the hot oil. Then I always scramble the leftover egg for Joey, who needs treats too! Discovering that my two saucepans were in the dishwasher (and I forgot to run it, so it smelled lovely) I needed to cook rice in the microwave. Tonight's veggie was opening a can of peas. After all, I was putting in the effort to make fried chicken, a fresh veggie was just too much work.

Perhaps I should have put some more effort into the chicken after all. First of all, I learned that large chicken breasts do not fry well, you have to cut them down a little so they'll get even exposure in the oil. The outside of the chicken got reaallll toasty, though not burned enough to become an entry for the Museum of Burnt Food! However, upon checking, the interior of the chicken was totally raw. As AB would say, "That's not Good Eats." Since I had already started the rice, I decided to throw it in the fridge for Sunday's dinner instead of letting it go to waste.

The night wasn't a total disappointment, though. We ended up ordering sushi rolls and splitting my fave Sesame Chicken and some Pineapple Fried Rice. I love all that stuff!

Now it's three hours later and I just had the sinking realization that the rice is still in the microwave. Oh well!

No comments: