Sunday, March 15, 2009

Calling All Substitutes

Ever stockpile one ingredient in the house that you'll never run out of it? In our house, that's typically oatmeal packets and breadcrumbs. And when I run out of either of those things it's like "Seriously? How can we be out??"

We had Chicken Scampi on Thursday night, and Brian was halfway through cutting up the chicken when we discovered the breadcrumb shortage. Hmmm.....how about substituting smashed-up Ritz crackers? It ended up working pretty well. Then I had taken out a package of ground turkey to thaw for Friday night's dinner. We ended up blowing it off and having leftovers, we're a bit lazy on Fridays. I was out shopping with my mother when I got the frantic text message: "How can I make turkey burgers when we don't have breadcrumbs?? Don't say crackers because we're out of Ritz crackers." And I'm betting the Teddy Grahams in the house probably wouldn't work either, huh? (yuck!)

Leave it to Brian to get innovative. The result was a tasty, spicy, delicious turkey burger. I was very glad this afternoon that there were leftover burger patties to put in the toaster oven for lunch. I had mine with spicy brown mustard and a little bit of red onion, and it was great!

"Necessity is the Mother of Innovation" Burgers

1.5 lb ground turkey
1 c. ground pretzels
1 tbsp Emeril Essence
1/4 c. shredded parmesan
2 tbsp shredded mozzarella
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 egg

Mix all ingredients well. Form into six patties. Cook in cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning every couple of minutes. Serve on toasted buns with brown mustard.

No comments: