Saturday, June 7, 2008

Summer's Best






For years, I've wanted to grow a garden.

I've tried growing tomatoes in containers, but they died. I have to say though, my scatterbrained-ness probably contributed, though! So this year I decided that it is THE year! There is nothing quite like a homegrown tomato, nothing the supermarket sells can compare. So instead of growing tomatoes using seeds, I cheated and bought two plants. For the fun of it, I also planted zucchini and northern beans.

Well, it looks like I FINALLY have a green thumb! We staked the tomatoes last week and they have little yellow flowers on them. AND this morning I checked and there's already one little baby green tomato! Can't wait to reap my own garden's bounty!

Some of the things I want to make are a tomato-basil-mozzarella tart, and I've always wanted to try Panzanella. (which is a tomato and Italian bread salad) I also want to learn to make my own spaghetti sauce, but that might be a little too adventurous. But if anyone has a sauce recipe to share I'd be happy to take it!

Based on the success so far, I'm already thinking of expanding the garden next year. Maybe cucumbers or peppers, and I have friends that grow herbs in window boxes. Wish me luck!
p.s. Above are pictures of the tomato plants, and my favorite little Garden Helper :)

2 comments:

adventures in rhode island said...

That is awesome! Fresh veggies are the best, amazing how much better they taste than at the grocery store. Being a food + cooking addict myself, I am loving your blog!

Toastqueen said...

Where'd you end up getting your plants? I never have luck with seeds, and always get plants, but Walmart/Lowes/etcs looked bad to me this year. I got 3 gorgeous ones at the Holden Farmer's Market this year - Toby's already picked one (green) one!
Congrats! There's nothing like growing your own!