Saturday, June 14, 2008

Simply Potato Salad

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there! We're celebrating with a family cookout, which is what we usually do! The Dads in our family like to keep it simple.

A great side dish for a cookout or picnic is potato salad. I know, I know....you can buy it at the deli counter. But you shouldn't. Why, you ask? Well, first of all, you really have no way of knowing just how long that potato salad has been sitting in the case, uncovered. I know that there are health and sanitary codes, but still. Another reason is that homemade tastes SO much fresher than store-bought! I also find that the pre-scooped versions in the deli case usually have too much dressing. Anyway, I digress....

Potato salad is a simple dish, and should stay that way. Potatoes, dressing, celery, onion, salt and pepper....and that's it. No green peas, roasted peppers, etc. I've seen potato salad with roasted green beans. How pretentious! Stick to the simple side, people. If you're an egg lover (and I'm not) some slices of hard-boiled egg are OK.

Ginny's Potato Salad

2 lbs potatoes, cut into chunks (red or white, I prefer red)
3 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp sweet pickle relish, drained (optional)
1 c. mayonnaise (lowfat is fine)
2 tbsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Peel potatoes if you are using white potatoes. (red skins are delicious!) Boil potatoes, simmer for 12-15 minutes. Drain, then cool. Place potatoes in large bowl, sprinkle with vinegar and oil. Add celery and onion, toss.

In smaller bowl, combine mayo, mustard, relish, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Cover and chill one to twenty-four hours. Enjoy!


I am currently reading a hysterical book called "The Gallery of Regrettable Food." More on that later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say my favorite potato salad includes sweet green peas, and I think roasted green beans sounds delicious!! Will you still be my friend? :)