Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HOT DOG!!

I can admit it, I'm among friends. I used to not be a big fan of the hot dog.

There, I've said it.

Hot dogs are one of those things that I had so much when I was a kid, that I thought that I could live a long and happy life without ever eating one again. As a young child, I would get on a kick of eating one thing and one thing at a time only. Like a hamburger every night for dinner, or scrambled eggs. Hot dogs were on that list for a long time. (Now I know how maddening it is when a toddler gets stuck on a food and I should apologize to my mom right now!) The only place that I would be remotely interested in a hot dog would be the ballpark, and those that know me know how often I go to a baseball game!

I'm happy to report that the Hot Dog Ban has been lifted! We recently had a Father's Day Hot Dog Lunch at work and it was absolutely delicious. I guess I know now what I've been missing.

Normally, I like just mustard, relish and diced onion on a dog. But Brian and I got a real treat today. We like to try all kinds of different things, we're pretty adventurous in our culinary tastes and have been known to try anything once. Someone bought the old diner around the corner of us and turned it into a hot dog joint. When I first saw the sign, I figured the place had no chance. But the parking lot always seems to be full, so we decided to risk it. The sign up front says that they make their own relishes and sauces. So we got three hot dogs to share: A "Aloha" dog, a "Taco Dog" and a "Works" dog. The Aloha Dog had homemade barbecue sauce and pineapple relish. Brian downed it before I could even get a taste! The Taco Dog was topped with homemade chili and cheese and diced tomato. But the Works dog was the best in my opinion--mustard, onion and homemade fresh cucumber relish! It was so fresh-tasting, I loved it! I think this is somewhere we will definitely be going again. Plus, hot dogs are cheap.

So yes, I like hot dogs again. But I need to make sure my husband knows that even though I will eat hot dogs, I will NEVER try his childhood favorite, hot dogs and eggs!


UPDATE!!: Since writing this post, the local paper wrote an article about "The Edge", the hot dog place I'm referring to. Here is a link to the article. http://www.telegram.com/article/20080624/NEWS/806240563/1006/NEWSLETTERS07

3 comments:

Brian Given said...

First off I would like to clarify to make sure everyone understands, that is scrammbled eggs and hot dogs, not something like a fried egg (great on a burger though). And second I would just like to add that the Aloha dog was excellent, having tried all three it was a close second to the everything dog.

adventures in rhode island said...

ha ha, well then, you guys will have to go to the Hot Dog Annex at the Black Pearl with us someday! Its the only place we can go that we can get to something to eat quick on a walk, a big plus with a stroller and a cranky baby! i won't tell you how often we've gone there since sadie was born!

And brian- people make fun of me for eating scrambled eggs with ketchup, so its ok! :)

Anonymous said...

Well said.