Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Old Stand-Bys

We went to visit Brian's family in PA this weekend for Memorial Day weekend. We had a great time---swimming at the campground pool, Will's first ride on a golf cart, and Grandmom and Grandpop spoiling our sweet boy.

With weekends like this, of course my menu plan is out the window. That's why I like to have a couple old standbys in case we're sick of pizza (as if!) and just want to cook something. My favorite quick whip-up is Mexican Chicken and Rice. I got it out of a magazine at least ten years ago, and was feeding it to my roommates and friends back in my college days. It comes together quickly for a weeknight dinner. Enjoy!

Mexican Chicken and Rice

1 1/2 cups instant white rice
1 can Niblets corn, UNDRAINED
1 cup mild salsa (make sure it's mild, or it'll be pretty spicy!)
1 cup chicken broth
1 each red and green pepper, diced
1 onion, chopped small
2 lg chicken breasts, cubed
1 tbsp canola oil
shredded cheddar cheese

Use a large skillet with a lid for this recipe.

heat oil in skillet, add chicken. Cook chicken until it's almost done. Add onions and peppers. Cook until onion is soft. Pour salsa, chicken broth and corn into skillet, bring to a boil. Once boiling, add all of the rice and stir to coat. Make sure rice is fully coated or it will be crunchy. Cover skillet, remove from heat and let sit for 12-15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese. Sour cream also is delicious on top of this!

For all workers who are sick of sandwiches--this travels well and warms up nicely in the microwave. For a twist--you can also use it as a filling for fajita wrappers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... this is funny because a few weeks ago I thought about you, saying how it's fun sometimes to see what you can come up with when you think you have nothing in the house. I made rice and beans, I used olive oil, fresh garlic, and since I had no tomatoes or peppers I used salsa. Topped with a lot of shredded mexican cheese...it came out delicious... AND... we used it in fajitas, too
:) Great minds think alike, I guess :)