Friday, May 16, 2008

In Season!!

Walking through the grocery store this afternoon, I realized with delight that my favorite season is here. Summer fruit and veggie season!!! Peaches, strawberries, watermelon......mmmmmm. Fresh veggies like zucchini and eggplant, and summer squash too. And corn.....don't get me started on fresh corn!

I bought a whole bunch of fruit, the jewels of my refrigerator. :) Not sure what I am going to do with all of it, but with the cost of groceries these days I'm going to try REALLY hard to use all of it before it turns to mush in the crisper. (I hate that!) Fruit smoothies rock on summer mornings. The beauty of a fruit smoothie is that you can put most any kind of fruit in. Just blend with some juice, yogurt and a little bit of sugar or splenda. I also make homemade strawberry syrup for summery pancakes. Fruit dessert is good too, like my friend Jen's Fruit Pizza. I wish she didn't live in Illinois now (for many reasons) because I could go for some of that right now!

We also love to grill in the summer. Last night Brian made kabobs that we've nicknamed "Kabobs from Heaven." They were scallop, pineapple, steak, green pepper, mushroom and bacon! Oh my....so good! Kabobs rock! And with a little prep, they're incredibly easy, because like smoothies, almost anything goes!

We took Will to the doctor today for his 18 mo checkup and he is growing really well. The doctor asked what we feed him and of course it's typical toddler stuff: chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, pancakes. The doctor said to continue introducing fruits and veggies, that the only mistake we could make is to stop trying to get him to eat them. He likes some fruit, but most veggies he turns up his nose. I made carrot-raisin-coconut muffins last week though, and he seemed to like them. It seems that if he doesn't know he's eating them, it's all good! Zucchini is good for baking too, and I have a recipe somewhere that I need to find for broccoli-cheddar muffins.

Enjoy the Spring and Summer Veggies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh, could you post the carrot-raisin-coconut recipe?
You might also be interested in the Central Mass Food Swap Meetup Group
(no drama!! ;) http://cooking.meetup.com/526/.
You can join for free if you're just looking for recipes.