Friday, April 29, 2011

Sweet!

Our friends Michael and Tracy are getting married tomorrow, and Hubby and I are the bridal party.  That's it, just me the maid of honor (I refuse to say "matron" as it sounds so frumpy!) and him as best man.  We went out to dinner to celebrate last night.

First we went to Via Italian Table in the Woo.  I'd been there for lunch, and it's always been good.  Dinner was even better, fancier and delicious!  We ordered prosciutto-wrapped shrimp as an appetizer, they were the BIGGEST shrimp that I have ever seen!  P.s.  "Biggest Shrimp" is a fun oxymoron.  Hubby surprised me by ordering Atlantic Salmon with white bean ragu because he hates beans.  He's got a real problem with "mishy" texture, shunning foods such as beans and (gulp!) cheesecake.  I ordered a spit-roasted beef tenderloin florentine with parmesano-reggiano risotto.  God, that was good!

For dessert, we headed to a dessert bar on "restaurant row" called Sweet.  I've driven past this place many times and it just looks like a bakery from the window.  However, we pulled up the website at work the other day and WOW!  It's a lot more than that!  Michael had caramel bread pudding, Brian had bananas foster, Tracy had peanut butter donuts dipped in chocolate and I had s'mores.  Not your typical s'mores mind you.  They make their marshmallows from scratch in-house, and I am forever ruined for commercial marshmallows.  (Not that I will stop eating them.  I mean....really.)  They bring you a little hibachi to toast your mashmallows and instead of graham crackers, they give you fresh cookies to sandwich it all together.  This thing was the real deal.  I've never had s'mores like that, they were out of this world.  There was nothing typical about the donuts either.  Right by the bar they have a cooking station.  After we ordered, the pastry chef got busy frying something.  The smell was pure heaven, and imagine the delight when we realized that they were frying Tracy some fresh donuts.  They do have some things for the calorie-conscious....which clearly the four of us were NOT last night.  (Live it up, live it up.) They had a dessert called "I'm on a Diet" which was homemade sorbet and fresh fruit.  And from the bar you could order a "SWB" (Skinny White Bitch) which is just Stoli Vanil with Diet Coke.  Think about it.....appropriately named, no?  :)

Good friends, lots of laughs, lots of good food.  Two places I would go to again in a heartbeat!!

2 comments:

adventures in rhode island said...

lol, that sounds awesome, i need to go to that dessert place! skinny white bitch.... too funny!!

Alicia said...

For part of my Bachelorette party, we went to Sweet. I agree the food and drinks there are fantastic. We got a lousy server though and that was a shame because the food, when we finally got it, was very good.