Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend Eats

Lots of cooking ambitions this weekend.  The biscotti came out fantastic, and there was Southwestern Refrigerator Pie for dinner tonight:


This is Alton Brown's recipe for Refrigerator Pie, which I've written about before.  (And, in my humble opinion, kind of a silly name for the dish.  But I digress.)  This one has chicken shortcuts with "southwestern flavor" that I had kickin' in the freezer, some diced onions and three kinds of peppers, a blend of Colby Jack and Cheddar cheeses and a bit of cilantro.  It came out awesome!  With no sides (usually we have salad) two slices apiece was enough for dinner, and there's some leftovers in the fridge.  Hmmm....that might be good for breakfast.  No different than an omelet, really.  :)

I also made a batch of chili for dinner one night this week.  Chili is one of those things that if given a day or so in the fridge it tastes even better.  (also on the list:  lasagna and shepherd's pie)  The little taste that I got while putting it away tells me that the chili is pretty spicy.  Good, just how I like it!

Also, mark March 12th on the calendar:  it's the day Grilling Season 2011 opened in our house!


Grilled steak tips (naked, with no marinade, just steak sauce) baked potatoes and broccoli, all cooked outside.  It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: