Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fish Tacos

Despite him saying that he wouldn't like them, Brian suggested that we take "salmon" off the menu for tonight and try fish tacos.  I was elated, since I LOVE fish tacos!

Grocery shopping on a Friday night--it's pretty tiring but it gets it out of the way so you're not looking to carve out some time during the weekend to get this chore done.  I wanted to make fresh mango salsa to go with the fish tacos, but our grocery store only had green mangoes.  I'm not really an expert in the mango field, but something told me that these aren't the mangoes that I used before.  I whipped out my Droid in the produce aisle  (Seriously.....smartphones are awesome!) and googled it.  Yep.....green mangoes aren't going to work.  So I brought home a fresh pineapple instead.  Mmmmm......fresh pineapple is so, so good.

I came home from a trip to the spa to find that Brian and Will had already put together the pineapple salsa:


Good call on gloves for the little one, Daddy!  Brian said that Will helped with the "dumping" the ingredients into the bowl.  Looks like he's having a blast.  :)

We settled on a tempura batter and frying the tilapia that I had bought.  (that Will helped pick out in the grocery store.  He's become quite the kitchen helper.)  Brian was surprised with the ingredient that makes tempura so thin.......seltzer!    The only drawback was that the seltzer choices in the house were flavored....raspberry and lime.  He decided to throw caution to the wind and use it anyway.  After all, it was going with a fruit salsa.  It was a snap to throw together.


Add some corn tortillas, Boston lettuce and the aforementioned pineapple salsa and you've got dinner!  Oh, and the corn tortillas were absolutely delectable, once they were warmed in a frying pan.  Now that I have that taken care of, I'd be happy to eat corn tortillas any time.



First bite and I'm hooked.  And you know what?  So is Brian!  He loved them!  He was so surprised that he liked the fish tacos but I wasn't....I know him and I knew he'd love them if given the chance.

No comments: