Monday, April 12, 2010

Double Duty

One of the problems with writing a menu is that if you punk out and order pizza because you didn't feel like cooking, you have something defrosted for a meal you didn't plan on having the next day.  I had bought swordfish at the grocery store on Saturday  for that night's dinner.  But when it came time to make them how I had planned (roasted in foil packets with red onion and lemon slices)  I had zero drive to actually prepare it.  So Hawaiian pizza indeed.  However, then last night we were supposed to have chili with leftovers for tonight.  (Brian goes to school for his master's on Monday nights)  So there I am on a Sunday afternoon, throwing together a batch of chili while hurriedly preparing the swordfish packets, along with potato packets for that night's dinner. 

It all came together though, and the fish came out well.....slightly overcooked.  A bit annoying, but what can you do.  However, I discovered a new way to prepare broccoli that's different from the usual "steam and butter" method.  I stir-fried it on the stove, and just as it was getting tender I mixed in a little Three Cheese Italian dressing.  Wow, was that good!!  So now tonight all that has to be done is microwave the chili and rice, and butter the cornbread.  I do love the easy nights!

No comments: