Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Something Different.....

I've been leafing through some old cookbooks of mine and making lists of things that I want to make. This recipe caught my eye because it's just so...different! We love tacos in this house but I do get bored of just ground beef, salsa and cheese. They cooked up pretty quick for a weeknight dinner and even Will had some! However, we learned the hard way that a flour tortilla filled with stuff is much too big for his little hands, as a good chunk of it ended up on the floor. So if you're feeding this to a toddler, you might want to make it quesadilla-style.

Also, there is no cheese in the original recipe. To me, cheese on a taco is a must! Plus, I'm getting bad at checking the fridge before I go to the grocery store and I had three different kinds of shredded cheese in the refrigerator. I found that monterey jack or swiss cheese work great with this recipe, as I had one of each!

Chicken Soft Tacos with Sauteed Onions and Apples (courtesy of Cooking Light)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter
2 c. thinly sliced onion (I used sweet onion)
2 c. thinly-sliced, peeled Granny Smith apple (about two apples)
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add chicken to pan, saute 7 minutes or until golden. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.

2. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion, cook 4 min or until tender, stirring frequently. Add apple, cook 6 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. Return chicken to pan, cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.

3. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 1/2 c. of mixture over each tortilla. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments: