Thursday, April 30, 2009

Funky Ingredient of the Week....Mango

Mmmm....mango! One of my favorite drinks in the world is a strawberry-mango margarita. And I adore the mango iced tea at the 99. While perusing cookbooks to make up this week's Menu, I came across a recipe for Curried Chicken with Mango Chutney. Hmmm...that sounds interesting! I've been trying to come up with some different ideas for dinner so we're not having the same stuff over and over. it required stewing the mango with dried apricots and apple juice, allspice, ground red pepper, fresh ginger and cider vinegar. I didn't have any apple juice or allspice, so I settled for V-8 Fusion in peach and mango and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I marinated the chicken in curry powder, lime juice and soy sauce. It came out really good, the chutney was spicy-sweet and the chicken was perfect off the grill. Make some white rice and that's dinner! The rice sopped up the sweet juice of the mangoes nicely.





Mango is kind of a pain to peel, you have to have a bit of patience. Plus, you really can't tell where the "pit" is, because it's more like a rectangle. I had a little bit of chopped mango left that I'll blend into a smoothie later with yogurt and strawberries. Maybe when I have tomato plants going I'll try another fruit salsa with mango this time!

No comments: