Sunday, February 8, 2009

Simple Roasted Chicken

On Sunday nights, I like to make something that has some leftovers for Monday lunch or perhaps a quickie dinner. Roast chicken is a good way to ensure a hearty dinner and enough left over for a repeat performance or perhaps some chicken salad!

This is a basic recipe, you can jazz it up with different herbs and spices, or stuff it, or put some sauteed veggies (onion, celery, carrot...) for aromatics.

This method never fails...Basically, get a small whole chicken. Be sure to remove the bag with the innards!!! Smear it with some butter or spread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and some herbs if you feel like it. Tonight I used a little Italian seasoning, and I also cut a lemon in half and put half in the cavity and squeezed the other half over the chicken. Roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, turn down your oven to 375 degrees and let it roast for 45 more minutes. Take it out of the oven, and tent it in foil for about 5-10 minutes. Then cut into pieces with an electric knife. Everyone gets the part of the chicken that they like best! Mmmmm..........

For the chicken salad, I dice up some breast meat and add a little mayo, chopped celery, pepper, thyme and chopped walnuts. If I'm taking it to work for lunch, I don't add the mayo until I'm actually sitting down to eat the sandwich, then I spread the concoction on two pieces of toast. Perfect. (sigh)

No comments: