Sunday, November 2, 2008

Craving Noodles....Needing something Saucy!

Last week I really wanted egg noodles. An occasional Sunday dinner in my childhood was pot roast with gravy and egg noodles. Noodles and Gravy...how comforting! A plate of hot, buttery noodles with some sort of sauce, that would really satisfy my craving!

I've never attempted a pot roast before, and I really didn't feel like putting in the effort today.So I found a recipe in one of my cookbooks for "Italian-Style Pepper Steak." Now, I've said it before, it's only been a recent thing that I will attempt to cook steak on the stovetop. I've learned that with the right cut of meat, it's really good. (I have Alton Brown's "Good Eats" to thank for that. Actually, my husband has often said he's going to write a letter to his idol AB to let him know what effect he's had on our marriage. :) )

This one comes out of an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I've modified it slightly from the 3/4 lb steak in the original recipe because I had a full pound of steak. Enjoy!

Italian-Style Pepper Steak
2 med. green and/or red peppers, cut into thin strips
1/2 c. chopped onion (1 med)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 lb beef top sirloin steak, cut 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick
salt
1 c. beef broth
1/2 tsp dried oregano or basil
2 med tomatoes, seeded and chopped (I used a cup of canned diced tomatoes)

1. In a large skillet cook sweet peppers, onion and garlic in hot oil for about four minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from skillet, keep warm.
2. Place meat in the same skillet. (Add more oil, if necessary) Sprinkle with salt. Cook over medium-high heat about 4 min on each side or till slightly pink in center. Transfer to a serving platter.
3. For gravy, carefully add beef broth and oregano or basil to reserved drippings. Bring to a boil. Boil gently, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes, or until broth is reduced to 1/3 cup, scraping up crusty browned bits in pan. Remove from heat. Stir in the cooked begetables and tomatoes. Heat through, then spoon over meat. Makes four servings.


No comments: