Saturday, June 18, 2011

Going on a Berry Hunt....Gonna Get some Juicy Ones




Despite the fact that Dora the Explorer is going blueberry picking in the blog title, it pretty much works for strawberries too.  We got up this morning early, and after haircuts for the boys (MUCH needed) we went strawberry picking.

I hadn't been strawberry picking since I was a child, and it was so much fun.  Will, who doesn't like strawberries unless they're in a smoothie, had fun dashing up and down the aisles looking for red beauties.  Brian and I took turns hanging out with Sean while the other was busily filling up a pint container.  Sean kept looking down at the berries filling up the box and kept begging to eat some.   I'm not sure how many he ate, but he was really enjoying them.   When we weighed our take at the checkout, I was surprised to discover that we had picked twelve pounds!!

After a picnic lunch at the farm (and watching two wild turkeys run around the picnic area) it was time for picking up some strawberry donuts from the farm kitchen.  And let me tell you, they are delicious.



Some of the berries will go to my parents, my mom loves fresh strawberries.  Tonight we'll have some shortcake.  And then....I've bookmarked recipes for Strawberry Muffins and Strawberry Pie.  And but of course, strawberry-lemon syrup.  If there's any left after all of that, then into the freezer they will go.

We went to the same farm that we had gone apple picking last October.  That place is great, not too crowded, reasonably priced and very kid-friendly.  We liked it so much, we'll be back in July sometime to go blueberry picking.  (My boys are blueberry-eating monsters!!)

No comments: