Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Adventures with Curry Powder

In a quest for "something different" I picked a Curried Chicken Recipe.  Having watched the "Good Eats" on Curry last night, I'm sorry to know that Alton Brown is really down on the use of curry powder.  Sure, it's not authentic to Indian cooking, but if you think I'm making my own garam masala like he did, you're crazy!  (Brian also pointed out last night during the episode that if we kept half the things in our kitchen that he suggests we'd need a warehouse.  And what's up with the ginger peeler that he had on the show?  Do I hear Unitasker???)

Anyway, this is Curried Chicken.  Curry powder, chicken breast, onion, celery, apple, chicken broth, rice, cornstarch.  I added a little cumin and some crushed red pepper for kicks.  There were suggestions for "optional" garnishes, so we went with golden raisins and peanuts.  No coconut or chutney in the house to add.  It actually was pretty good, and definitely "something different!"

No comments: