Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Better Sloppy Joe

I tease Brian a lot about some of the food he grew up eating....stuff like Hamburger Helper (hate the stuff) and the fact that ketchup was a vegetable in his childhood home.  Another food on that list is Sloppy Joes.  I've never been a fan of "Manwich" sauce.  You know, the canned sauce that you mix with hamburger and call Sloppy Joe.  School cafeterias all over the nation call this a staple, right up there with what my grade-school called a "hamburger sundae" (sloppy joe mix over mashed potatoes) and all of it was gross in my book.  So when Brian made up the menu for this past week and I glimpsed "Sloppy Joes" as an entry, I inwardly groaned. 

What a pleasant surprise....someone on Food Network came up with a recipe for homemade sloppy joes!  They were absolutely delicious and not at all tasting like processed, salty food.  Red peppers, onions, hamburger, spaghetti sauce, cider vinegar...who knew it could make s sandwich so tangy?  I've had one for three meals, two lunches and a dinner.  They're also the kind of meal that gets better with time, the second tasted better than the first and the third was the best of all.  This is one sloppy joe that I wouldn't mind eating again and again!

2 comments:

CraftyMomof3 said...

Ahhhhh...the hamburger sundae. Remember how wonderful the cafe smelled that day!?! LOL My mom makes a pretty sloppy joe with the manwich stuff. She adds ingredients to it. Pretty good.

Treasures By Brenda said...

As a mom of two hungry teenagers, I have to say that we LOVE our sloppy joes recipe. They are delicious and nutritious PLUS they are gobbled up without any objections whatsoever. I just add a green salad and I feel like we've had a really good meal.

My recipe is at The Best-Ever Sloppy Joes Recipe, if you are interested in checking another version out.