Sunday, December 20, 2009

Carrot Muffins....Good-for-you treat!

I have a cookie cookbook that some dear friends, the Schules, gave us for Christmas a few years ago.  Not only are the cookie recipes fantastic in here, our friends lovingly picked their favorite recipes and marked them with post-its and silly comments.  One of the coolest gifts I've ever received!

So.....it's a cookie cookbook.  But for some reason, there are also scone recipes, cracker recipes and muffin recipes.  I had been flipping through some of the bonus stuff and came across a carrot muffin recipe.  Now, I was a little timid to make muffins from a cookie cookbook.  After all, you don't order an Italian pasta dish at a famous steakhouse and expect it to be authentic, right?  But what the heck...I've got some extra carrots and am always looking to get some veggies into Will.  (Though when I told him I was baking carrot muffins he yelled "Yaaayyyyy!  Those are my favorite!"  Har-Har.)

The recipe called for two cups of shredded carrots, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, an egg, brown sugar, and a tablespoon of water.  (I may be forgetting something, but I'm too lazy to go into the kitchen and get the book.)  Oh, and I substitued brown sugar Splenda baking blend for the brown sugar. The thing that struck me as odd was that there wasn't a whole lot of moisturous ingredients...the water and the egg, that's it.  But let's keep going.  They baked for 35 minutes and came out looking a little small.  Nothing amiss though....Will had one for breakfast and begged for another!  I even tried one and they were surprisingly moist.  The only thing:  I really missed either raisins or walnuts.  So if I was to make these again, I'd add one of those things. 

Next time--pumpkin muffins.  I've got a HUGE can of pumpkin puree to use up!

No comments: