Thursday, November 12, 2009

Diabetes Review

I love cookbooks, and I have an extensive collection.  Some of my favorites I've talked about before, like the Joy of Cooking.  (or "The Bible" as we refer to it.) 

Since being diagnosed with gestational diabetes again, I've done some homework.  I requested three diabetes cookbooks from the local library.  And well....I've pretty much been disappointed in most of what they had to offer.  One of them I've already returned and I don't remember its name. 

Anyway, that first one....totally filled with crap food.  I'm not a picky eater by any means, ask anyone who knows me!  But this stuff just didn't sound like things I would find myself making.  The second one I nicknamed "Diabetes for the Pretentious Palate."  Total junk!  One recipe was for "tomato water" which they said was a slimming soup.  They further added that "presentation is everything in this recipe."  Yeah....that's because presentation is all you have!  It was chopped tomato, basil chiffonate and evian water.  Yes, you read that correctly.  EVIAN WATER.  I stink at being pretentious. 

The third book was the most promising.  I've already made a Szechuan Pork Stirfry that was delicious.  I've never though of using pork tenderloin in a stirfry, but it's perfect.  I substituted a bag of frozen stirfry veggies instead of all that chopping on a weeknight.  This Saturday we're going to try another new recipe...duck breast with orange sauce.  Sounds enticing. 

One thing I've noted is that on a lower-carb diet, breakfast ideas are hard to come by.  And I'm getting kind of tired of eggs and egg sandwiches.  I'd love some suggestions if anyone has any!

3 comments:

CraftyMomof3 said...

high fiber english muffin with peanut butter or low fat cream cheese. Yogurt & cereal. Use lower fat dairy because the lower the fat the higher the protien. I have a website you can check out called the dLife.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/

Good stuff.

MLE said...

I'm interested to find out more about whether or not you like this cookbook. With my blood sugar issues, it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up with GD once I do manage to get knocked up.

A high-protein breakfast I like is steel-cut oats with chopped up nuts and dried fruit. I add a little agave nectar (low on the GI) for sweetness.

That Girl said...

I have The All Natural Diabetes Cookbook (Big J has type 2) and it is great. There are good breakfast recipes as well as snacks, desserts and drinks. We use it quite often.