Thursday, March 14, 2013

Surprise Afternoon Brownies

I was driving the Little Kid to daycare before work last Thursday when I got a call from the Big Kid's afterschool program.  With the incoming snowstorm they were going to close early, so he wasn't going to be able to go there.  I swiftly took the afternoon off and called the school and asked that they put him on the regular bus to the house.

Surprise afternoon off!  I felt a little bit like a kid headed on vacation, myself.  And a little quality time, just him and I.  I got to the house early and tried to think of something fun that we could do together.  He loves to cook, so I settled on brownies.  The only chocolate in the house was a bag of chocolate chips.....with a brownie recipe on the back!

Preheated the oven...then headed outside to meet the bus.  His expectant little face...watching for his mom...is the first thing I see as the bus pulls up.  He was quite nervous with this change in his routine, but was thrilled to have Mom all to himself for a couple of hours.  He readily agreed to brownie-making, as long as he could eat some that day and watch "Ultimate Spider-Man" afterwards.  Agreed, buddy.

This was a strange recipe, like no other brownies I'd ever made.  It called for melting half the chocolate with butter on the stove, and then adding everything else directly to the pan on the stove.  But I can't complain with how they came out, and the smile on the Big Kid's face!

No comments: