Saturday, March 2, 2013

Best of the Week

We had a week of crappy dinners.  Lots of hustle and bustle tends to do that, so it was meals made of boring chicken and ho-hum canned veggies.  One night even featured a skillet meal from the freezer section, something that we used to rely heavily upon.  I'm glad we've gotten away from that stuff!

  I know that we are going to have a lot of meals in the next couple of months that have "quick" and "convenient" ingredients.  Neither one of us likes it, though.  , This week Brian wrote a menu that put that stuff to shame. Lemony Zucchini Risotto on Thursday night, served with a poached egg on top.  We've made that one a few times now, and I still love it just as much, and ALWAYS have the leftovers for breakfast the next day!!  I am kind of in love with risotto, and will definitely be happy to try some more versions.

 The most intriguing meal?  Roasted chicken and kimchi-smashed potatoes.


This one comes courtesy of Epicurious....which has never produced a bad meal in our kitchen.  This one didn't disappoint, either.  Kimchi is not something I thought that I'd want to try, nor did I think that my husband would MAKE kimchi.  For those who don't know, kimchi is a fermented cabbage dish from Korea.    Authentic kimchi is mixed up in glass jars and left to ferment for some time.  I had a boyfriend in high school whose mother was Korean, and she used to make it and leave the jars on their back deck.

Anyway, the recipe called for store-bought jarred kimchi.  Our local market didn't have it, and I was shocked (shocked!) not to find it at Wegman's.  So we found some cabbage/slaw mix in the produce aisle and decided to give it a whirl.  The spices are more authentic, but the cabbage blend was more "pickled" than fermented.  Looked pretty authentic!

First of all, I have to admit.  Kimchi does not look appetizing.  But this meal was actually pretty great.  The chicken thighs were spicy and quite crispy, with the perfect blend of sririacha and fresh garlic.  The kimchi was good, and the dandelion greens were bitter but worked in the dish.  I don't know if this is something I'd eat again, but I was pleasantly surprised!

No comments: