Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pork Tacos with Apple-Fennel Slaw



Another one from Mark Bittman's "Kitchen Express" cookbook.  This book is very different in the sense that the recipes don't really have a lot of measurements for their ingredients.  So it's more of an advanced cookbook, you have to have an inkling of what you're doing when cooking from it.  (Which is why many times it's Brian doing the cooking from "Kitchen Express" and not me! Ha!)

This recipe called for treating the pork with a dry rub, though for tacos I think that a sauce or marinade would be better.  We served 'em on corn tortillas and put the slaw on the side.   The slaw was delightful and very fresh, with granny smith apples and a bulb of fennel.  Two tastes that I wouldn't have put together but it really works! Corn tortillas are um....drier than flour tortillas.  I think that perhaps if they were warmed in a skillet first, they might be a little better.  Just "as is" was a big disappointment.

The next taco experience I'd like to have are fish tacos.  I love fish tacos!  And I know that Brian would too if he'd just give them a try.

No comments: