Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Beet Incident

Long day at work.....and I'm hungry as soon as my feet hit the front porch!  Brian usually starts dinner because he is home first, but tonight it's me.  I take a quick look at the menu posted on the side of the fridge and am delighted to see Maple-Pecan Chicken.  It's a new recipe and I'm looking forward to it.  A quick scan of the cabinet and I decide on rice pilaf and fresh brussels sprouts as accompanists.  On a whim, I grab a can of beets, too.  I adore beets... they're delicious hot or cold, in a salad or as is.  I've always wanted to roast some fresh beets but I'm afraid I'm the only one who will eat them.

I put Sean in his highchair and share my snack of pretzels with him.  I then proceed to take out all of the pans that I need, and grab a can opener and start to open the beets.

SPLASH!!!!!  I'm not sure exactly what happened, but the can slipped out of my hand and beets and juice went EVERYWHERE!!!!  I actually shrieked as it was happening!  Then I just stared at the kitchen in total shock and disbelief:



Say it with me...OH.  MY. GOD!!!

My my my my my...where to start.  I'm covered with beets, my kitchen is covered in beets and now I have to figure out the least messiest way to dispose of this ungodly mess.  So the first thing I could think of was to get rid of my clothes.  That's right....stripped down to my underwear and carried the scathed clothing to my hamper so not to permanently stain my tan carpet.  Soon after, Hubby came home with the Big One and I didn't even want them to go into the kitchen.  Unfortunately, the doggie doesn't care for beets, otherwise cleanup probably would've been a snap.

Half a roll of paper towels, two swiffer pads and a load of laundry later....it's mostly clean.  Beets sure make a mess, and the juice travels pretty far.  I am pretty sure that there is a much easier way to dye my kitchen a lovely shade of pink!

1 comment:

adventures in rhode island said...

OMG is right. thats a major mess. glad you had a sense of humor about and photographed for all of us :)