Saturday, November 20, 2010

Quick Pan Sauces

Dinner tonight was supposed to be baked Shrimp with Tomato and Feta....but alas shrimp doesn't just show up in your fridge because you want it to.  And I was too lazy to go out again after shopping with my older son this afternoon.  So after a quick freezer check, we settled on a simple supper of chicken breasts, oven red-bliss and garlic fries and canned green beans.  (hint:  it's the one veggie the three of us can agree upon without a fuss.)  

Naked chicken breasts aren't much fun, and I remembered that one of our cookbooks had a section on quick sauces for "the cooks' canvas."  I had all the ingredients for an apple and cider sauce so I got to work, thinly slicing apples and sauteeing them.  They made a great topping, and the book boasted that it didn't add a lot of calories.  Best of all...there's four more sauces in that chapter!  I can't wait to try the Spiced Pineapple one with some rice and chicken for a semi-Indian flavor.  Dinner was saved from blandness!

No comments: