Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Salad

In a quest to eat more fruits and veggies and having an empty fridge post-vacation (minus the rotten chinese food and spaghetti in the back) , I started fresh at the grocery store yesterday.  Came home with peaches, plums and nectarines.  And that thing that always tastes better in a restaurant than in your own home....salad. 

I love salad.  The Asian Chicken Salad I had from the Ninety-Nine on Saturday night was excellent.  However, when it comes to making salad at home, I'm not so good about it.  I thought about it carefully at the grocery store and I think I've figured it out:  I just get bag-o-salad or iceberg lettuce and then just chop whatever I have on hand and call it salad.  And a salad it is, albeit a mediocre one.  But if you put some thought into it...maybe it could be so much better?  I also got to thinking about dressing.  I mean c'mon, it's just not right that salad dressing has more calories than a cheeseburger! 

I came home with ingredients and an idea.  I ended up with a dreamy salad:  Romaine, hardboiled egg (which I usually am not crazy about but this was good) tomato, cucumber, REAL bacon pieces that I cooked up special, sliced red onion and light honey mustard dressing.  (Newman's Own, has a little kick and it doesn't taste "light" at all)  Now THAT'S a salad!  So good in fact, I tossed some chicken strips on it this morning and brought it to work for lunch.  Happiness is....a plan that comes together.  Can't wait for another new creation.

No comments: