Saturday, November 19, 2011

Shake n Spicy

Remember those old Shake n Bake commercials...."It's Shake n Bake...." and the little girl would chime in "And I helped!"

I made Shake n Bake pork chops back in college.  My senior year, I lived in a house with two roommates and though I was still learning, I quickly became the cook.  (this was definitely a good thing!)  Anyway....pork chops.  We never had Shake n Bake at home growing up that I can remember, so a box of it found its way into my grocery cart one week.  It was.....OK at best.  For one thing, it was so salty.  I never bought it again.

Tonight, I've got crumb-coated chicken thighs in the oven.  (bread crumbs, paprika, cumin, curry, chili powder, salt and pepper)   And they were just the same thing, only you go and mix the spices and bread crumbs yourself.  (or panko.  Panko sounds pretty fabulous too.)  It was so easy!  The only part that's hard is waiting for them to come out of the oven with the roasted red potatoes and garlic.  My kitchen smells better than a restaurant right now.  If this stuff tastes half as good as it smells, we're in for a real treat.

No comments: